Monday, September 1

DIY coupon/money holder...

So I have one of these to hold my coupons (this picture is of my hubby's though because he has managed to keep his nice for 2 years...). Problem is that I am so mean to them that the plastic rips or cracks in about a week and it really only survives about a month. So, after much searching for a fabric one (And not finding a SINGLE ONE!), I decided to make one.

Supplies:
  • double sided fusible fabric (the thickest you can find, mine is about 1/8th of an inch)
  • Pretty fabric to fuse with
  • needle and tread or sewing machine (I am hand sewing, because I don't have a machine...(Scratch that! I got a machine on freecycle half way through! I love it!))
  • card stock to make the "pattern" with (You can use a cereal box or a manila folder.)
  • magnetic snaps. or some other method to close it.
  • iron (I iron all the hems down then sew because I find that easier.)
Hints:
  • Make the pattern first and then get the fabric so you get enough.
  • Get a few inches too much fabric so you can trim the sides and hem. (or it can unravel a little if it needs to be washed)
Directions:
  1. Read the directions on your fusible fabric, some want the pretty fabric washed, others do not, so do whatever those directions say. (If it says to wash, remember to iron the fabric before fusing!)
  2. Make your pattern. I wanted a 7 by 3.5 rectangle but you can make it larger or smaller based on your purse or what you are carrying. you need a 3/4th to an inch for the top and bottom.
  3. Cut out the fusible fabric.
  4. Iron your pretty fabric.
  5. Fuse them. (If you want to you can make the fold over flap have a pretty edge before you do this.) Remember to give fold over space.
  6. After fusing, trim the interior of the pocket.
  7. Fold over and hem.
  8. Make pattern for interior. I intend to only need to open this about 90 degrees so I made the pattern with that angle. I made mine 5 inches.
  9. Cut interior pieces and hem them.
  10. Fold the 1/4 circle piece in half and then half again. Make with some washable fabric pen or a pencil.
  11. Sew the rectangle pieces to the half circle pieces like so.
  12. (If you are going to use a magnetic snap this is the time to put it in....)
  13. Sew the interior part to the outside part.
  14. All done! How cool is that! (I put money in this one for the picture, mostly because my two year old destroyed all the coupons while I made this over 3 days and I have a bunch of ones in my house...)

Other uses:
Money carrier, note cards/flashcards, credit cards, pictures, business cards, business papers, and homework just to name a few. Of course you can make them bigger or smaller mattering on what you need.

11 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

That came out great. I'd love one.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Great job! :D

Susie said...

What a great idea and a great tackle!! Nothing like being organized for your trip to the store:-)

AmyK said...

That's pretty neat! Nice job.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I have been so frustrated with those plastic ones that rip so quickly.

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

I LOVE this idea! great tutorial, fabulous result! Hopefully I will have a chance to try this one of these days, definitely going into my craft bookmarks.

Have a great week!
Steph

Superchikk said...

Thanks for the advice on the milk drinking for my toddler. I use rice milk in my cereal, but have hesitated to give it to him. I guess if it doesn't hurt me, it won't hurt him.

trisha said...

Awesome, I have an 'Avon' leather like one that the plastic inside ripped out. You just gave me a great idea on how to hack it and make it back into something useable. Anf if that doesn't work, I've can make one just like yours. Thanks!

Beth Zenari 100% Artesanal said...

Muito bomm o seu tutorial. Obrigada por compartilhar. Gostei como você fez as laterais pois não cai nada de dentro. Beijos.

andriani retno said...

ohh.. pretty awesome
thankies for the tutorial..
i love that

Kayla said...

Thats so cute!
Would also work GREAT for traveling.
Keeping passport, tickets, money.
Definately trying this one!